Monday, November 8, 2010

1Up

What's with 1L's trying to 1up each other? (see what I did there? see? see?) <---lame

But seriously, what is what that? It's like every time I ask a classmate if they're doing x, they tell me that they only did x after they did a, b, c, and d, and it only took them 2/5 of a second to do that, of course. I hate hate that about law school. Especially when it comes to people that are supposed to be your friends. I don't need to hear how awesome you are, mmmkay? Just answer my question and let's try and get through this together. I don't know, I guess it seems like the competition is coming out with the open memo. It for sure makes me regret sharing the cases that I did share with some of my colleagues, who now act like they have the golden scroll, and they would never ever ever share anything back. Dislike, immensely.

Also, group work. That should go bye bye immediately. It seems like the propensity for people to screw each other over in law school is exponentially higher than it ever was in undergrad, which once again, makes 0 sense to me. We're all going to be colleagues for the rest of our careers, so acting like you're better than me, or our classmates, or our college does not endear you to having successful relationships with your peers.

We're all stressed, we're all under the gun. Can't we help each other instead of stabbing each other in the back?

1 comment:

  1. (I meant to post this a while ago, but being a long-time lurker, I kept putting it off, lol)
    I completely understand how you feel! Here, it seems like most of the kids, even the gunners, are pretty good about helping each other out or, at the very least, not actively trying to sabotage people. I heard of one kid hiding a book in the library, but not much else.
    At my old school, though? Forget it! People would wheedle outlines out of 2 and 3Ls and then mention how they had these fabulous, life-improving outlines and then hold them over your head. They made secret study groups--secret ones! I've heard of pages ripped out of books. There was such a cut-throat attitude. I hated it because, besides just being poor behavior, you're screwing over your future colleagues! People you could need one day! Why would you ever do that??
    We've done some group work in some of our classes here. I don't mind it. It's a little less intimidating to compare answers with two or fewer people than with the whole class, and it helps me work on getting to know more people instead of hiding in my shell.
    I'm sorry you're seeing how dickish people can be, but I'm sure there must be some people around who aren't that bad...or who are at least courteous enough to try to suppress that side of themselves when you're around. Right? They can't all be jerks...can they?
    Fingers crossed you find some normies--good luck! But I am sorry that you have to put up with that bullshit.

    ReplyDelete