Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Resolving Resolutions

I'm not the kinda girl that has ever ever subscribed to New Years resolutions. I always figured that if you wanted to do something bad enough, you'd do it, regardless of whether or not it was New Years. This year is a little bit different. Aside from all the law school stuff, I'm making some resolutions in my personal life that I really need to stick to. I have a healthy self image. I'm not cocky, but I think that overall I'm a pretty likable person. I get along with people, I make people laugh, and I have fun. I listen, and I'm always willing to lend a hand. However, this year I've sort of thrown myself under the bus personally. I've put myself into a situation that is grossly unfair to me, and is sort of painful. I've stayed in a relationship with an emotionally unavailable man, and talked myself into believing the feelings that he couldn't tell me he had for me were real. I talked myself into seeing an end game that was never really there. And it seems as if I just keep talking myself into being okay with things that I have no business being okay with. And the end resolution is near, but in the meantime? I'm not happy. And I hate feeling this way. And I'm not even sure if there is an end resolution that I can be okay with to be honest. Anyway, enough of a pity party. A couple of years ago, I found this quote that I fell in love with. And it's been my email signature for years, to remind me who I want to be, how I want to treat others, and how I want to be perceived. The quote is:

"Living with integrity means: Not settling for less than what you know you deserve in your relationships. Asking for what you want and need from others. Speaking your truth, even though it might create conflict or tension. Behaving in ways that are in harmony with your personal values. Making choices based on what you believe, and not what others believe. - Barbara De Angelis

So, I'm stealing the quote back from myself and making it my New Years resolution. Let's hope that I can keep it. 

What are everyone else's resolutions?

No comments:

Post a Comment